Sunday, September 18, 2011

Oops, My Bad

I could fill an entire book with everything that's happened in the last seven months, but who would want to read that? Instead, I'll fill you in a piece at a time... 

I have to admit...my last post in February was a bit angry. I'll blame it on those pregnant lady hormones. I don't know if 'hurt' is the right word, but I was something about the doctor and her lack of information.

That was seven months ago. I never look back. Or at least I rarely do, anyway.

Today is a new day. Inevitably, I did have the baby. We named her Olivia Erin and she was born on March 13, three days early. I was pretty convinced she would come sooner than she did by at least a week, but it just wasn't in the cards. I don't blame her...it was still pretty cold out.

The hospital turned out great, and the nurses and doctors were all pretty amazing. The labor was long and hard and I did 15 hours with no medication and then finally got an epidural. After the epidural, it was another 15 hours until Liv was born. By then the epidural had run out and all the pleasures and pains of labor were flooding in on me. At one point the doctor threatened me with a c-section if I didn't push. So I did. And as soon as they handed me my sweet little baby, my first thought was that I wanted another one. Weird, I know.

Two months later, I was in the throes of postpartum depression and didn't realize it. And not only that, but Liv was colicky crying up a storm. Every time she'd have a fit, she drive me farther away from her to the point where I didn't want to care for her anymore. We tried craniosacral therapy and chiropractics and those things didn't work. Finally, at the end of my rope, I made a bottle of formula and grudgingly put it in her mouth. She drank seven ounces. Seven. It was her first bottle and her first formula and she drank every last drop of the nasty stuff. Since then, I've pumped 4 to 5 times a day so she could have breast milk.

And as for me, I went on an antidepressant and I can't tell you what a difference it has made in my life. I feel like my normal, happy, fun-loving, excited self again. It's one of the best decisions I've made.

That's all for now. Check back soon for more!

No comments:

Post a Comment